Waddell & Hedrick, a direct predecessor firm to H&H, designed this double-deck railway and highway bridge over the Fraser River, which was completed in 1904 and is still standing today. Many of the firm’s early bridges were located in the Pacific Northwest. The total length of steelwork is 2,400 feet; the total length of railway approaches is 7,715 feet; the total length of highway approaches is 1,870 feet, and the total length of the bridge and its approaches is 11,985 feet. The bridge has fixed spans of 380 feet, 225 feet, 160 feet in length, and a 330-foot swing span. Construction required open-dredged piers at a depth of 135 feet below high water; the water is 72 feet deep at that point. The bridge substructure consists of 17 piers, 11 pedestals, and three abutments. British Columbia granite was used for the masonry shafts of the piers.
Construction work was begun in August 1902, and on July 23, 1904, the bridge was formally opened by the lieutenant governor of the Province of British Columbia. The swing span, which is nearly 700 feet from the north shore, was originally only be opened for river steamers and other large vessels. It is operated using an electric motor and can be swung clear around quite quickly. Initially, the Great Northern Railroad leased the right to cross this bridge and ran trains direct from Seattle to Vancouver.